Wednesday, November 5, 2014

 Know Yourself. Yourself has known you longer than you think
This is the lesson I've found that keeps showing up in life. I learned this lesson again recently. Thinking about getting older, hitting a mid-life, half way point in age. Time and time again, no matter how far I stray away from myself, explore new things, I always come back to the basics. We pretty much have the basics down by the time we're 7 or 8 years old. Our likes/dislikes and talents start to show more. I've had a love for art and craft supplies ever since I can remember. Getting a new box of crayons was the highlight of my year! Back to school supplies, new pencils, paper, notebooks, erasers, drooool...! For example. When this photo was taken, I lived in Parris Island, South Carolina. We were a Military family. If we needed to buy clothes and such, we would have to drive to Savannah,Georgia. My 7 year old self remembers that I absolutely loved "all the pretty houses." It's all I remembered about Savannah. Well, that and a big bridge. So, a few months ago, we took my son to Savannah College of Art and Design, in Savannah, GA. It took me 40 years to get back down there! And guess what? I took over 100 photos of  "all the pretty houses." Here's proof:





And speaking of a love for art supplies...we stopped at the local Blick Art store. My son is attending art school, after all, we needed to locate the nearest art store. ASAP. Ha. Here a few more shots:



So, like I said before, things have a way of coming back around. Coming back to yourself, no matter how far you stray. If you want true happiness with your life, you come back to yourself. You immerse yourself in the things that make you happy to the core. That's why I've encouraged both of my children to follow their passion, the arts.  I am finally finding myself, getting back to my passion for art and the new smell of crayons. The smell of new paper and ink. Get back to yourself,  because yourself needs you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment